Pop Up

Friday 11 November 2016

#APoemADay - Day 11 - From Jam to Jazz

#APoemADay – Day 11 – From Jam to Jazz
A Journey through traffic to Jazz at Smoothbean, Croydon

A metallic river of red eyes
Snaking through dark concrete streets
The whirr of engines and the clutch of brakes
Stacked in a queue of fallen dominoes
The achievement of Western civilisation
To proliferate to the point of saturation
Till one against the other we fall
Crushed by the mechanising of our humanity

So I sit and wait in this becalmed metal boat
Waiting for the clinking and clanking
To bring me to journeys end
And release me from this concrete clinch
Deliver me to a place warm and snug
Where I can nestle in your hug
And soothe my urban sorrows
With friendship infused tea

I gladly exchange this river of buses
For a stream of soul inspired sounds
Where notes ripple one over the other
In shimmering starlit chordscapes
And lingering melodies imprint memories
Of this moment of innocent refuge
Where children dance and adults smile
Remembering that life can still be a romance.


No comments:

Post a Comment