Pop Up

Wednesday 9 November 2016

#APoemADay - Day 9 - I Light A Candle

I Light A Candle

I Light a candle today
For wise, noble people
Standing in powerful protest
As profit driven pipes
Threaten to trespass
On their sacred land

I light a candle today
For a world lost to greed
A people torn in shreds
By futile concepts of ‘mine’
Whose walls and fences
Exclude the possibility of ‘ours’

I light a candle today
For the children to whom
Is left a frightening legacy
Whose tender faces crumple
And cry out in the rumble
Of guns and bombs

I light a candle today
For those called ‘Other’
Those who dare to question
The fixed identities of gender
Creed or race and to ask
For a greater humanity

I light a candle today
For the longing within the heart
For love, peace and respect
On this dark night when
Hopes have burnt to ash
For still it burns bright


No comments:

Post a Comment