Pop Up

Monday 7 November 2016

#APoemADay - Day 7 – World from Above

#APoemADay - Day 7 – World from Above

I shoot up in my tiny time pod
Far, far beyond the clouds
Bursting out through the fiery
Rim of the planetsphere
Into the realm of stars and planets.
I pitch about in the space debris
Amongst shards of star dust
Rocky bits of asteroids
And orbiting satellites
Until I find the perfect spot
To view the play of time
Moving across the planet.

From this vantage point
I watch the flicker of civilisations
Rising and falling through time,
The ignition of voluptuous volcanoes
Bursting in red craters and flaming petals
Across the vast terrain of the planet’s skin.
I watch the drift of continents
Towards and away from one another,
The kiss of beaches meeting
And melding to become deserts,
The tips of mountaintops emerging
From titanic tectonic collisions.

I track toxic trail of chemicals
Clouding the clear blue sky.
I see swirls of plastic islands
And fake beaches appear
Whilst blobs of oil blot
The surface of aqua oceans,
Slowly sinking and suffocating
Life beneath the waves.
I see luscious swathes
Of greenery rapidly diminish
As towers of concrete and glass
Pepper the planet’s face.

And from here in this vast space
I send my deepest plea
Not in HTML or Morse
But a simple plea of the heart
To preserve and reverse
The devastating destruction
That threatens this precious planet -
To tread carefully, oh so carefully
On the beautiful belly of the earth
And to understand life’s truth worth
And what is truly worth saving.

Not towers and skyscrapers,
Not the latest laptop or flash car,
Not the catwalk gown or designer handbag,
Not stocks, shares or metal coins
Not stacks of paper printed
With the faces of the kings and queens
Who’ve marched across the plains of time,
Not our transitory markings and trails -
Illusory attempts to carve out
Whose is whose and what belongs where -
For from here in space I see no maps
No FTSE index, no calendar, no clocks.

From here I see only
The majestic, magical turning
Of this marvellous marble
In the refracted light of the sun,
Its pulsing tides magnetised by
The mysterious orbit of its moon
Here I hear only the hum of life itself –
The rhythmic music of these orbs
Songs that sing in our cells
And the cycles of our breaths
Calling us to listen and remember,To find our way home.

Inspired by the weekly #CreativeSprint prompt - www.creativesprint.co
Week 1 - Imagine you are looking down at the earth from a satellite, (or look at where you are right now on Google Earth) making something inspired by this perspective

No comments:

Post a Comment